Friday, November 16, 2012

When the End is a Beginning

weheartit
I don't really need to explain myself to you- I only have a couple of regular readers and they know me personally. Hold tight though, allow me this vanity. I haven't blogged in a while because I fell in life, hard. This year has been what I feel to be one of the most defining years of my lifetime. It was the final year of my formal schooling education - the last year of high school. I only graduated last night and after returning today from a data check, I hung my school uniform up. I sat on my bed and I continued to gaze at it. I will never wear a school uniform again. I will never chuck it on, hurriedly brush my teeth and run up to homeroom with my sister again.

I've said my goodbyes, given and received the gifts, belted out my school hymn, I've even gotten a little teary. Yet nothing about this feels quite real and I still feel like next year, I'll be doing it all over again. While school was a massive pain in the arse, it was what dominated my life for the last 12 years. Everything revolved around study, school and assignments. And while I hated it, I think I also really appreciated it and what it gave me.

My last five years at my high school have helped shape me into the person I am now and honestly, I like my (current) 17 year self. I think my 12 year old self was a little a shit. Thankfully, that's changed. It's been the people I've met and the experiences that have moulded me and who I will be. It could never last and I'm glad that I made it right through to the end.

I'll let you in on a secret: I'm kind of scared. Scared of what is ahead, because I have no idea of what exactly is ahead. However, I am also estatically excited. I feel like a cheesy metaphor is only fitting: it's like a fresh and blank notebook, anything can be written. As Natasha liked to say, I am unwritten. It's in the end of this era, our era, we will all find a new beginning.
Graduating class of 2012. We did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment